Gout is a metabolic disorder leading to an increase in uric acid in the blood. The consequence of this process is the deposition of urate salt crystals in the joints and tissues of the body. Most cases arise at the ages of 40 to 60, but in recent years, more and more patients are in their 30s.
More than 90% of cases of gout are primary, ie no known cause, the remaining 10% is secondary after some other disease or medication. The disease is more common in men than in women. The disease usually arises after the use of diuretics, tuberculosis, aspirine … or after kidney failure, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia, malignant organ disease blood.
The disease usually starts suddenly in one joint, most commonly the finger joint, foot, elbow, knee, ankle. Frequent pain at night, the intensity increases rapidly in 24-48 hours, may be accompanied by cold tremors. The affected joint is markedly red hot. Without treatment, the disease lasts for several days and then resolves completely, it can be itchy and flaky in the skin of the affected joint area. The the period of arthritis persists gets longer, does not go away, the gap between them gets shorter and shorter, the continuous arthritis attacks gradually lead to chronic gout, manifested by the appearance of tophy notes. The substance is the deposition of urate crystals in the software around the joint, accompanied by sequelae of stiffness, joint deformation, loss of motor function.
Some notes in the treatment of disease
Like other metabolic disorders, the first stage in treating gout is to change eating and living habits to reduce risk factors. Restrict high protein animal foods including red meat, fish, shellfish, heart, liver, kidneys, brains, duck flakes etc., limit alcohol consumption, physical activity, and start to lose weight.
Need to use medicine as directed by the doctor to control acute attacks of arthritis, lowering and maintaining blood uric acid at the permitted level, well controlling the accompanying diseases. To reduce inflammation in the treatment of acute gout, patients can select current drugs such as colchicine, NSAIDs, systemic or topical corticosteroids, depending on the location of each person.
To reduce and maintain blood uric acid levels as permitted, drugs that reduce uric acid synthesis such as allopurinol, befuxostat, pegloticase or uric acid excretion drugs such as probenecid or sulfinpyrazone an be used. .
It is always necessary to control well the accompanying diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia.